Connecting to The VPN With Windows:
First, download the OpenVPN Client for windows here:
Once you open the OpenVPN Client you should see something similar to:
Click on the + (plus button next to where it says Connection Profiles). The following will appear:
Be sure to select local file. You will be asked to locate and select the .ovpn file that was provided to you. This is the profile file that contains all of the information that allows you to connect to the VPN.
After you select the profile file. You will see this:
Here, type in a friendly name for the server that you will remember and check the box titled “Completely trust this profile”, and optionally depending on your needs you may make the profile available to all users on the computer. Then click SAVE.
The profile you created should appear in the area highlighted below:
Simply click the profile and the client will go through the process of connecting to the server, and if successful, you should see something similar to:
You are now connected to the VPN!
Connecting to The VPN With A MAC
To connect to Access Server from a MacOSX client computer, you need to follow these steps:
- Download and install an OpenVPN client for MacOSX
- Login to the Access Server’s Client Web Server and download the appropriate client configuration file (typically called “client.ovpn”)
- Run the OpenVPN client with the downloaded client config file
- A popular OpenVPN client for MacOSX is Tunnelblick. It can be obtained for free from https://tunnelblick.net. Follow these basic steps to use Tunnelblick with OpenVPN Access Server:
- Download the Tunnelblick disk image file (a “.dmg” file) from https://tunnelblick.net
- Open the downloaded disk image file (which mounts the disk image).
- Double-click the Tunnelblick icon (it may be labelled “Tunnelblick.app”) and you will be guided through the installation of the program.
- Once you have installed Tunnelblick, you can download and install the configuration file. After logging in to the Access Server’s Client Web Server, download the client.ovpn file and double-
- click it. This will launch Tunnelblick if necessary, and Tunnelblick will install and secure the configuration.
- Run Tunnelblick by double-clicking its icon in the Applications folder. If left running when you logout or shut down your computer, Tunnelblick will be launched automatically when you next log in or start your computer.
- The first time Tunnelblick is run on a given Mac, it will ask the user for the an system administrator’s username and password. This is necessary because Tunnelblick must have root privileges to run, as it modifies network settings as part of connecting to the VPN.
For more information on using Tunnelblick, see the Using Tunnelblick at https://tunnelblick.net/czUsing.html.
For iOS and Android devices:
First, you will need to get your OpenVPN profile file (filename.ovpn) onto your mobile device. Most people find that emailing the file to themselves is the easiest way to get the file to your device.
There are several openvpn clients in both app stores. Simply install one of them and import your profile *.ovpn file into the app and your mobile devices will also be going through the vpn.