- Set up your WordPress.org account
- Choose a web host
- Use WordPress as a CMS
- Manage multiple sites
For blogging and more, WordPress has the tools. Here’s how to make the most of them!
WordPress was born for blogging, but today it also powers one of every five websites. Harness the power of this versatile beast with help from this book! From the basics of installing and setting up WordPress software to adding media files, activating plugins, hosting a network of websites on your domain, and sidestepping pitfalls, it’s all here.
- WordPress 101 — discover how WordPress works, set it up, choose a platform, explore the capabilities of WordPress.org, and check out the newest features
- Getting down to business — choose and register your domain name, get hosting help, set up FTP, and learn to use the WordPress Dashboard
- Setting up your site — establish categories, manage permalinks, compose posts, handle comments, and banish spam
- Flexing your WordPress muscles — explore media management tools and choose plugins that extend WordPress capabilities
- Content management, WordPress style — create a website with custom templates, enable the WordPress network feature, migrate an existing site to WordPress, and manage multiple sites
- Get noticed — learn to optimize your websites and blogs to attract search engines
Open the book and find:
- Tips for setting up the WordPress Dashboard
- How to install WordPress and set up the MySQL database
- Tips on managing blog spam
- Help configuring settings
- WordPress RSS options
- How to choose, download, and install plugins
- Advice on customizing themes
- Steps for importing a blog from another platform
About the Author
Lisa Sabin-Wilson is co-owner of WebDevStudios, a development company that specializes in custom WordPress plugins, themes, and deployments. A popular conference speaker, Lisa is the author of previous editions of WordPress For Dummies as well as WordPress Web Design For Dummies.